Friday, September 11, 2009

September 5, 2009: Fort Leavenworth, KS: State #5


I am not a morning person. I like the concept of morning, but to actually get out of bed is usually a struggle. And, if I do have to get up early, the first thing I need is a Diet Coke. Diet Coke is probably the antidote for mornings. On this morning, I had to get up at… wait for the drum roll… Drum roll please… 4:00 a.m. Now let me just explain, 4:00 usually only exists once in my day and not being a morning person, this was an effort.

It can be difficult trying to find places to ride in other states, but I finally managed to find a place called Fort Leavenworth. Okay, perfect. It probably should have been a clue when Linda looked at me a little funny but hindsight is 20/20.

When we got there and the place was surrounded by a huge fence with spikes on top of the posts. Security to get into this place was amazing! Turns out, this place is a PRISION! Who knew?! I must have missed that in History Class…

We found where we were to ride and there were a bunch of other people riding as well. Mostly Hunter/Jumpers. One lady was jumping over a log with her horse and she fell off and the horse psychotically ran away. It didn’t help that the horse had shoes on and it was attempting to run on concrete. The lady just stands up and calmly walks in the direction her horse went. We call that “Cowgirl up”. It takes a special breed of people to become a hunter/jumper. I do not mean that with any disrespect whatsoever. I mean it in quite the opposite way.

We saddled up and got on the trails. Apparently, it had rained the night prior, so the trails were awful. A lot of mud puddles and large rocks, and the mosquito’s were having Thanksgiving dinner on our backs. It always happens that I put fly spray on the horses and forget about myself, at which point I am just a magnet. I am asking for the mosquito’s to eat me. “Don’t eat my horse; I enjoy getting my blood sucked.” The worst part isn’t even the fact that they are taking my blood; I could care less about that. It’s the fact that they leave little bumps that itch like crazy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment